This time it took me seven hours. Again I spent most of the time writing the captions, actually the technical data. There must be something more tedious, but – believe me – at the moment I can’t imagine anything worse 🙂
Contrary to last year’s process, this year I have not even tried to bind the images together by a common visual style. Instead I took them just as they had been published here on this blog, with only two exceptions: I have added some saturation to the Image of the Day in “957 – Remix!!“, and today’s Image of the Day had a real problem with moiré.
While the print raster behaves fine on this web page, there were ugly moiré patterns in the PDF. I had to make a separate version for the book, that instead of sharpening even had a blurred layer. It mostly fixed the problem for the PDF, but on Issuu, the page still looks ugly. I hope it will look OK in print.
Apropos print. Today Blurb have released version 2.0 of their bookmaking software BookSmart. According to the press release they have greatly improved their workflow, but sadly they still can’t simply import from PDF. You still have to make the detour through Photoshop. I am not sure if this is very clever, but they may have their reasons.